Oh, the holidays, how I hate them...

Am I the only non-religious parent who wishes they had imprinted Hanukkah on their kids, instead of Christmas? Four small gifts and a fifth big one and that's it. Why is there never any money in December or do I just feel it most keenly in December? Now my cute little boy--who is not little but is still cute--has been invited to a 7th/8th grade dance party at the local country club. The ticket cost $75--but at least it's a benefit? And he was asked by a very cool girl...However, the blazer is $75 and the matching pants are $30 and if the piano currently perched in the dining room doesn't sell soon, I'm screwed.

I am feeling newly discouraged about the demise of my relationship. Last year the holidays were fun and the years before that I always flew to Florida on Christmas. Even Thanksgiving was fun although New Year's Eve was kind of bumpy.

This year I'll spend the day with the cats, one of whom is incontinent. He does at least only relieve himself on either the hardwood floors or on bathroom tile. There is a bright side. I called around to see how much it would cost to euthanize him and the 'bargain' package is $241. My best friend said "well, maybe he'll die, they do that sometimes..". I was mollified for a moment and then considered the DIY (do it yourself) route. I pictured storing the cat's corpse in the freezer. I would splurge on bubble wrap but it still seems crass. Besides I don't want to dig the grave in the spring and I don't want to stand guard for ravenous coyotes until the stench fades. Also, the neighbors are really nice right now and I don't want to offend them. They have small children--'daddy, what's that smell?'. Must go back to spiffing up social media profiles. Can anyone of my generation explain Facebook to me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down