Family Time v. Never Trust Anyone Over 30


It's a fact that teens want nothing to do with adults about 98% of the time. Unless they need cash, adults are simply useless nay-saying dolts who lumber about complaining about trash, laundry and other stupid stuff. They say dumb stuff like "oh, that skirt looks nice" even though the skirt in question makes you look like a pimento cut off at the knees. In short, they're useless.

I remember those days. I remember longing to be away from stupid relatives, deranged parents--anyone over 30. (Except for the cute draft-dodger Hippie who lived next door in a purple VW bus parked in his parents' driveway. He taught me guiter and introduced me to the Whole Earth Catalogue. I thought it was fascinating but unfathomable. I picked it up a few years ago and had the same reaction. That may be the only thing I've ever been right about through the decades.)

So yes, we adults are useless and often dopey. The last thing any teen wants to do is spend "Family Time" with....the family.  For my kids, the "family" means hanging out with annoying little brothers, nosy aunts and sometimes even your father's old Bronx friends' kids who seem to be from another galaxy altogether. Recently, my kids came home to report that one of these kids had a strange speech impediment that caused them to pronounce all "ts" as "d's". This kid kept talking about "sedan" and it took a while for my kids to figure out that she meant "Satan". Why on earth the subject of Sedan or Satan came up, well who knows? They are from another planet, after all.

One of Kid 1's best friends often fights with her parents about "Family Time." They have a lovely family--really, I'd like to go live with them myself--but this doesn't matter to the Friend. She wants to go out and get away from her lovely family. She wants to roam the streets of our upscale little city to sip lattes at the Temple of Teens (aka Starbucks) or peer at $200 blouses in the windows of boutiques that line Purchase Street. (The most aptly named street in America, I'm sure.) Her parents don't get it. They yell, they tear at their hair and it does no good.  Poor deluded parents--they come from lovely families themselves and they just don't get it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down