A "Mother From Another Planet" Experience: Who's Crazy Here?


I attended a board meeting last night that featured a report from the security consulting firm hired at a cost of $80,000 or so in the wake of the Newtown massacre. It was surreal. Talk about best intentions gone awry or maybe $80K down the drain.

 I listened to a former NYPD captain, now managing director of this fancy security firm explain the importance of learning proper lockdown protocols for both students and teachers. "This is really a life skill that your children can take with them to college and even beyond that. If they're in a movie theater and something happens, they'll know what to do."

So, whenever some nut with a gun shows up and starts randomly shooting people, our kids will be prepared? I wanted to laugh but it was all so crazy. He went on to talk about training teachers to immediately lock their classroom doors in the event..of an "event"? "Locking doors is very, very important. Studies have shown that a shooter will move on to another target if a door is locked. He won't stop and try to get through the door". Well, that's a relief....

I wanted to laugh because it was such lunacy. This was one of my frequent "Mother From Another Planet" moments--when I wonder who's crazy--them or me? I'm pretty sure its them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down