My Mom Works for Al Qaeda



Al Qaeda publishes an online magazine called "Inspire". I find this hilarious. Remember when this group was a dark, mysterious fear-inducing bunch? Perhaps not so much now. I wonder if "Inspire" is the radical Islamist version of Norman Vincent Peale's "Guideposts"? (We used to get Guideposts when I was a kid. All the stories were about horrible accidents or diseases and they were always described in graphic, gory detail e.g. "Billy didn't know it but his leg had been severed and now the remains of the shredded artery were on the side of the road". Faith in god coupled with desperate prayer always prevailed. More importantly does Inspire currently have any full-time positions open in the editorial department? And does the job include benefits? What about dental? I can't stop laughing long enough to write this---here's an excerpt from The Washington Post's report:

U.S. intelligence operatives covertly sabotaged a prominent al-Qaeda online magazine last month in an apparent attempt to sow confusion among the group’s followers, according to officials. The operation succeeded, at least temporarily, in thwarting publication of the latest issue of Inspire, the English-language magazine distributed by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. When it appeared online, the text on the second page was garbled and the following 20 pages were blank. The sabotaged version was quickly removed from the online forum that hosted it, according to independent analysts who track jihadi Web sites.
I've seen trade publications run the same story more than once in the same issue, fortunately it was the competition and we all had a good laugh at their expense. I find it both hilarious and a bit distressing that some U.S. intelligence operation is charged with messing with the Quark layouts for an "enemy" publication.  A really bad copy editor can easily do the same sort of work for less money. 
If I go up on their web site....www.inspirejihadirevolution.com, will I end up in some secret file? And if the pay is all right and the position is a "good fit" would I really care? I already have a pitch list in my head...How about "Five Ways to Tell if Your New Neighbor is Radical Enough to Hang With" or "The 10 Smartest Things To Pack For A Secret Mission" My chances can't be any worse with them than with any other publishing company.....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down