Basketball Twenty Years Later

I played three on three basketball yesterday morning. I think I last played about 20 years ago. The good news is that I can see the floor better, meaning I can anticipate and react faster. Mentally that is. Physically I am a bit of a wreck. I can't really run because of my back so instead I try to skittle as fast as I can from one basket to the other. I can't jump higher than about six inches but that may be my utter lack of conditioning. As for shooting--I had no muscle memory of even how to shoot. I had four points but only because I flung the ball upward while I stood under the basket. Today I woke up and the only thing that isn't sore are my hips. I had a blast and my surgeon reassured me this morning that unless I run two marathons a month or do something similarly bizarre, my hips will be fine. Basketball, volleyball, biking--it's all okay. After we played b-ball there was a holiday party hosted by the amazing woman who makes all the weekly arrangements for soccer (indoor right now), volleyball and basketball. It was great. All we talked about was athletic injuries and how we compensate for them. Also, lots of amusing but valuable advice for how not to aggravate existing or old injuries. When I was young I loved all sports with a ball except golf. It was great to be out on the court again. I must get the talented b-ball kids across the street to take me in hand and help me to recreate a credible shot of some kind. Otherwise I did pretty well. I am adding volleyball next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch Time Count Down

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast