No Child Left Behind--thank goodness

In my last post, I worried aloud about Kid 2's learning "differences" and how on earth he could possibly succeed in middle school. Last week I met with his "home room" teacher and his "Section 504" teacher. (Section 504 is basically "special ed lite") I came away from those two meetings feeling optimistic about next year.

I am traditionally a foe of all things Bush. When the "No Child Left Behind" program was enacted, I immediately dubbed it "Leave Every Child Behind". I worried about teaching to testing and funding mandates etc. despite the fact that both kids attend highly regarded and highly funded (approx. $14,000 per capita expenditure yearly. I remember when I/we briefly considered public school for Kid 1 when we lived in SF. The annual expenditure per student was just under $7,000.) National Blue Ribbon schools. Frankly, I've always regarded the whole "Blue Ribbon" school thing a giant crock of crap. If you live in a town where people pay lots for their housing, you get good schools--except in large cities. I've never understood that disconnect except that it seems inherently unfair.

First my conference with Kid 1's teacher...a man with about 30 years teaching experience. He felt that he was somehow failing my son, wondered if there was more he could be doing to help him overcome his weaknesses. However, we both agreed that my son is wonderfully happy and well-adjusted this year. He no longer feels stupid and if he sometimes inwardly uses his "learning differences" as an excuse, he also puts lots of effort into his schoolwork. I assured him that there was nothing he was missing. He's a wonderful teacher and he adores his students. He keeps order but he also makes them laugh.

What I loved is that he agreed with me that the most important thing is that now Kid 2 is happy at school. He no longer arrives home each day at 3:01 PM after running full tilt out the school door and down the hill to our house. He comes through the door happy. Does he still get 12 out of 40 right on his tests? Yup. But this year he says "guess what, Mom! there were other kids who did even worse than me!" I nod sagely and say "oh, that's good". Inside I think "oh my goodness, those poor parents."

His 504 teacher had nothing but praise and admiration for Kid 2. She mentioned the testing requirements imposed by "NCLB" or "Leave Every Child Behind) but told me that in a way the frequent tests are helpful in a special ed setting. She said it lets them know more clearly whether the kids are really progressing. And she explained to me in detail how it will work for him next year. He will be on a team that is integrated into general core classes but these classes will have a "co-teacher" who will interact with the 504 kids along with the "regular" kids. I shadowed one of these classes last year and it was remarkable. The curriculum is a shade different for the 504 kids but not so different that anyone takes much notice.

I asked Kid 1 if the "special ed" kids ever get teased. She was mortified like I'd asked her how many teen serial killers had been truant that day in school... "What? Of course not. Nobody even notices who gets those services and no one would ever tease anyone!" I was chastened. I felt like a cave person.

Will Kid 2 ever write a sonnet? Nah, I doubt it. I'm hoping he eventually starts sentences with capital letters and someday learns that a first person "I" doesn't just get capitalized at the beginning of sentences. However, now I know that his excitement and optimism at starting middle school isn't misplaced. And that makes me optimistic as well. (Next time: Why I Hate Christmas")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down