My Kid is a Lying Sack of you-know-what



Kid 2 is flunking three subjects right now. He has a 57 in Social Studies, a 47 in Language Arts and a 55 in French. He also has a new desktop computer. It's a "gaming rig", at least that's what they tell me. I say it's a server but Dad says it's a "workstation". It has at least three processors and three TB of memory, with a huge HD screen, a keyboard with its own LED screen and a mouse that has lights that appear like lava when you move it.

The CPU weighs about 50 lbs and is the size of a server. I'm pretty sure he could run our city of 14,000 with it. At least it's not water-cooled.

Whatever you call it, it is a giant distraction for the boy. The screen resolution of the games he plays is astounding. Leaves on trees move in the wind or as soldiers pass and water looks real. And he is immersed the minute he slaps those headphones on. I fear he's addicted but his Dad says 'no, he's not'. What he bases this on I have no idea because of course he doesn't live with the kid.

Did I mention he is flunking three subjects? Now to the "lying sack of shit" part: last night he told me that in two of his classes he is unable to write down his homework assignments because the smartboard display with the assignments is erased too soon. In the other class, the teacher allegedly gives the assignments verbally. According to my LSOS kid, none of the three teachers uses his/her Fusion pages to list the assigments online.

So what did I do? I sent emails to two of the teachers reporting his excuses and asking what could be done... Oh boy. The French teacher very nicely told me that she does indeed list the assignments online and the Social Studies teacher said "I'm sorry to say this but M is lying." I thought this was brave of her in this town of screaming Mommies who keep that umbilical chord tied tight. She went on to say that there are all these people trying to help him but he doesn't try to help himself. Bingo. I plan to make him ride in the trunk of the car when I pick him up today.

I should have learned long ago. When Kid 1 was three she had two preschool teachers--one she loved and one she didn't like at all. One day she came home and happily told us that the disliked teacher had taken a new job and was leaving. Did either one of us question her veracity? Of course not. The next time we saw this teacher, I said "Congratulations on your new job! Where are you going?" To which she replied, scowling "Huh? I'm not leaving and haven't taken another job". Whoops. Kid 1 was just hoping. It didn't take the teacher long to figure out what had happened. I'll bet their relationship didn't improve.

I guess the moral is "Your kids will make you look like an ass if you believe everything they tell you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down