Are Video Games Always So Bad?

The other afternoon my Little Cutie had a play date with a fellow 5-year-old from camp. This was the first time they'd played together. The minute my charge got into the car he started talking nonstop about the latest Lego set he was coveting.

The minute he had to stop and take a breath I took advantage and asked the little friend whether he liked Lego. "No, not really." "How about Minecraft?" "No." Hmmm....two down and no screen-less options immediately IDed.

Cutie continued talking aloud about his.latest Lego lust. I could almost hear our guest thinking to himself 'great, I wonder if I can get my mother to pick me up early."
I shuddered but steeled myself for the inevitable..."What do you like to do," I asked him."I like to build booby traps and make up outside games."

Uh, oh...a classic boy mismatch...Video Boy meets Outdoors Boy. This was not going to be pretty. And then fate stepped in. "I do like Wii, do you have Wii?" Eureka.

I let them play Lego Star Wars for Wii and they had fun together. They talked a little and laughed a little just like adult males when they meet for the first time. It was the same as having a beer for the first time with a guy you don't know well.

Boys don't make friends the same way girls do, which should surprise no one. Think about how rare it is when your husband or beau actually likes the guy who's the other half of the couple you're trying to socialize with... "He's nice enough it's just that we don't have anything in common with him" is the usual male reaction. I think most boys and men need a shared interest or activity to kindle a friendship.

Think about it---women have talking and shopping. Just talking is just fine too. I think maybe screen time isn't always so bad for little boys. Next time I'll help them build traps. My brother and I used to love doing that when we were kids....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down