A Surprising Thanksgiving

I had a great Thanksgiving Day this year.
I've always disliked this holiday. When I was a kid I often had the flu on that day. I was never thankful as I sat on the bathroom floor waiting to be sick again.

Even those years when I was well, the food was usually bad. I remember one Thanksgiving meal where my uncle served the baked potatoes by pitching them down the table. You had to pay attention or risk eating a baked potato that had bounced off the guest beside you. I was only thankful when it was over.

My take on Thanksgiving has always been: you either get great food and lousy conversation or mediocre food and good conversation. It's almost impossible to have both good food and entertaining company.

I lucked out this year. A new friend offered to take me along with him to a bountiful feast at the home of a college buddy. The buddy is from a famous family but the day was free of any of that. People wore sneakers and jeans. The table was set for thirty but there were only twenty or so.

There was lots and lots of delicious food. There was a wild roasted turkey and a regular store bought one, freshly made rolls just out of the oven. Peas, corn, stuffing, gravy- all the standards, still hot, all delicious.

People talked about their kids (there was no bragging), recent trips and the influence of the Internet. I guess I was talking to some well-known people but aside from the host, I didn't know who anyone was or what they did.

The house was rambling with lots of kids and dogs. At one point the dogs found their way under the table to cruise for nibbles. The host ordered them outside so we all groped under the tablecloth to help catch them. By then, some of the smaller kids crawled under the table to join them. Nothing is more enticing to kids under five than hiding under a tablecloth. Within minutes, there was a small giggling pile of kids and dogs under the table. It was very funny.

The dogs were led outside and the kids returned to the table. Then we had dessert and that was great too. A nice woman who sat next to me- a lawyer- had made it.

I suppose this is the sort of Thanksgiving everyone wishes for. Maybe most people have always had this kind of Thanksgiving meal but until now I'd never had one. Now I'm thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down