The Locusts Arrive on Monday

In November I had shingles. I got off pretty easily and I was surprised by the number of people who were instantly sympathetic--very sympathetic. Hell, even my crusty blue-blood editor expressed concern. The shingles went away in about a week and the pain was mild.

In December, the week before Xmas I broke my left fibula near the ankle. That was only painful when I fell off my crutches--usually on the grand granite steps leading up to friends' big houses.

On Thursday last, I woke up at 0300 in the worst pain I have ever experienced. It was centered on the left side of my torso, right over the kidney's territory. I changed positions in bed. No change. After ten minutes I knew I needed the ER.

Sure enough, it was a kidney stone . It was located high up and it was large. Very large. Again people-mostly nurses--were instantly sympathetic. "Kidney stones are more painful than childbirth." I heard this a half-dozen times.

I have no experience with the pain of childbirth. I had two scheduled C-sections with epidurals so I had nothing to compare. As I was writhing on the gurney waiting for the morphine to kick in I had an uncharitable thought "wow, childbirth must not be that bad if this is really worse."

Shingles, a broken bone with full cast,  and now a kidney stone. Locusts are probably next but I'm betting they'll compare favorably with the broken fibula. Can't be worse than childbirth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basketball Twenty Years Later

A Sunny Day in March With My Cast

Launch Time Count Down